Jared Kushner Likely Paid 'Almost No Federal Income Taxes' for Years
First lady’s office calls out rapper for ‘disgusting’ video depicting Melania Trump
Amal Clooney Targets Donald Trump for Mocking Christine Blasey Ford's Testimony
Immigrant caravan sparks Trump threat to cut aid to Honduras
Three killed as strong quake rocks Indonesia's Java, Bali
13 October 2018, 05:20 | Devin Moran
Survivors in a makeshift hospital in Palu which bore the brunt of the disaster
The quake already killed three people in Java, but no deaths have yet been reported in Bali.
A magnitude 6.0 natural disaster rattled Indonesia's Java island Thursday, killing at least three people and collapsing home.
He said it will take two years for the region to rebuild and recover.
The quake was also felt in Surabaya, the capital of East Java province, which is about 200 kilometres from Situbondo, the nearest town to the quake epicentre. The U.S. Geological Survey said it had a 6.0 magnitude.
It will help move supplies and other aid around the region, which continues to experience tremors almost two weeks after a massive quake and tsunami killed at least 2,000 people on the island of Sulawesi.
Possibly thousands of people are buried in areas where the force of the quake liquefied the soil and sucked houses into the earth.
Liquefaction is a fairly common characteristic of high-magnitude earthquakes, but the Indonesian government says there is still insufficient understanding of the phenomenon and how to reduce exposure to it.
The annual meetings of the International Monetary Fund and World Bank are being held this week in Bali and attended by more than 19,000 delegates and other guests, including ministers and some leaders.
A tsunami warning system set up after 2004 failed to save lives in Sulawesi: it emerged too late that, due to neglect or vandalism, a network of 22 buoys connected to seabed sensors had been inoperable since 2012.
The country is still working to recover from the natural disaster and tsunami that killed more than 2,000 people and left perhaps thousands more buried deeply in mud in some neighborhoods of Palu city in central Sulawesi.
Indonesian K9 police unit searches for victims in Palu, in Indonesia's Central Sulawesi on 5 October 2018, following the 28 September natural disaster and tsunami.
An estimated 80,000 people have been displaced by the disaster, with many now living in tents outside their destroyed homes.
With reports of smell of death still strong in the air, Nugroho said that efforts to retrieve decomposed bodies in deep, soft mud were getting tougher and that some people may have fled or been rescued and evacuated. Tonny Akbar Mahendro said: "I felt it for about 10 seconds". The survivors should decide if they want to make collective graves, erect a monument, or turn them into green spaces.
Indonesia initially refused global help but four days after the disaster President Joko Widodo reluctantly agreed to allow in overseas aid. Nugroho said there's no need for global aid other than the four priorities identified by Indonesia - tents, water treatment units, generators and transport. But in the beginning of the week, the agency indonesian disaster management (BNPB) has informed the teams of rescue workers foreign that they could not go directly on the ground, and that all their actions were to be conducted with local partners.
Princess Eugenie weds her beau at Windsor Castle
The duchess arrived with Princess Beatrice a little behind schedule - after the groom instead of before as was planned. For her special day, Eugenie wore a Peter Pilotto gown, which intentionally showed off her scoliosis scar.
Monaco sack coach after poor Ligue 1 start
Jardim took over at Monaco in 2014 and counts the likes of Sporting CP, Olympiacos and Braga among his former clubs. In a club statement , Jardim said: "I'm grateful and proud to have been Monaco coach for more than four years".
Bolt scored first goals in professional football
The Australian A-League season begins on 19 October and the Mariners are yet to confirm whether Bolt will be offered a contract. Bolt was asked by a Brazilian reporter if he should now be called " Bolt , the soccer player".
PH wins seat in United Nations human rights body
De Guia said the CHR will continue to help the United Nations monitor the human rights situation in the Philippines. The elections had been criticized by a host of other human rights groups as well.