profishingrods.com
profishingrods.com February 16, 2019


Huawei CFO facing USA fraud charges, seen as flight risk

08 December 2018, 04:17 | Devin Moran

Huawei exec faces US fraud charges linked to Iran, court hears

Chinese Tech Exec Faces 30 Years in Prison in U.S., Canadian Prosecutor Says

A senior Chinese telecoms executive committed fraud when she lied about links between Huawei and a shell company used to sell telecommunications equipment to Iran in breach of United States sanctions, Canadian prosecutors have told a Vancouver court. Meng's arrest is reportedly related to a US investigation into a plot to use the global banking system to bypass stateside sanctions against Iran, according to Reuters.

The news of Meng's arrest has roiled global stock markets on fears it could escalate a trade war between the U.S. and China after a truce was agreed last week between President Trump and China's leader Xi Jinping. It's alleged that they did not know that they were in effect doing business with Iran and could have faced severe financial consequences, Gibb-Carsley said.

A Canadian government lawyer asked the court to deny her bail, saying she has been accused of "conspiracy to defraud multiple financial institutions" and if convicted faces more than 30 years in prison.

While personal details are scant, she is married and has a son and a daughter, Huawei said.

According to Canadian counsel John Gibb-Carsley, the Huawei executive misrepresented her firm's relationship with a subsidiary, Skycom, which was allegedly conducting business with Iranian firms in violation of U.S. sanctions.

Huawei said on Wednesday that "the company has been provided very little information regarding the charges and is not aware of any wrongdoing by Ms. Meng".

"Meng being released on $1 million bail would be like asking upper middle class Canadian family to cough up $136", she paraphrased the Crown as explaining, before noting that Meng's "father has a net worth of $3.2bn".




Gibb-Carsley told the hearing that Reuters reported in 2013 that Huawei was operating Skycom, triggering Huawei executives including Meng to allegedly make a series of misrepresentations. He said her actions exposed the banks to potential fines for violating USA sanctions.

Prosecutor John Gibb-Carsley said Meng, who has vast financial resources as the daughter of Huawei's founder, has incentive to flee Canada because she faces fraud charges in the U.S. that could bring up to 30 years in prison.

In a statement earlier this week, Huawei said the company complies with all laws and regulations in the countries where it operates, including applicable export control, sanction laws and regulations of the United Nations, the United States and the European Union.

The U.S. sees Huawei and smaller Chinese tech suppliers as possible fronts for Chinese spying and as commercial competitors. Fleeing would cause Meng to lose "face", Meng's lawyer said.

Huawei has grown to more than 170,000 employees and does businesses in more than 170 countries since Ren founded the company in 1987. She's likely his heir apparent. "They had been warned, and finally we had to prosecute that", he said.

The law enforcement action has also led to questions as to the involvement of high-level government officials in the Trump and Trudeau administrations.



Other News

Trending Now

How to Watch The Game Awards 2018: YouTube, Twitter, Twitch and More
Obsidian's official website and Twitter page have been counting down to the awards, teasing a "special message" is on the way. If that's not the case, we can hopefully at least look forward to some more details on Creative Mode.

First Crewed Soyuz Rocket Goes to Space After Aborted Mission
This time, the mission set out to deliver a three-person Russian, American, and Canadian crew to the International Space Station. One of Canada's newest astronauts, Jenni Sidey-Gibbons, grinned broadly as the rocket carrying Saint-Jacques launched.

Free public transport rolled out in a country for first time
European Union's wealthiest country, Luxembourg, has made history after announcing plans to make public transport free in 2020. The move is also aimed at reducing traffic congestion by encouraging the use of public transport instead of private cars.

Trump picks William Barr as next United States attorney general
Sessions resigned at Trump's request last month, and his Chief of Staff Matthew Whitaker has been the Acting US Attorney General. Barr not only said that an investigation of this would be above-board, he claimed it was necessary in the interest of justice.

UN to vote on Haley's last stand: condemning Hamas
But the vote on the resolution to condemn Hamas was 87-57 with 33 abstentions, a plurality below the two-thirds requirement. In recent months, the militant group has fired hundreds of rockets from Gaza into Israel.

Asia shares sink after Wall Street sell-off
The market gained Monday after the Trump administration said USA and China agreed to a temporary cease-fire in a trade dispute. The slide in bond yields, which affect interest rates on mortgages and other consumer loans, weighed on bank stocks.

Police increasingly concerned for British backpacker missing in New Zealand
Various sightings have her wearing either black top, blues jeans and red sneakers, or a black dress with white shoes. Grace Millane's father is said to be on his way to the country, where his 22-year-old daughter vanished on Saturday.

Phillies Trade for All-Star Shortstop Segura
In time, don't be surprised if acquiring Segura is just the beginning of what should be an exciting offseason for the Phillies. Segura, 28, is coming off an All-Star season and will make $14.25 million in each of the next four seasons.

Angela Merkel loyalist Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer succeeds chancellor as CDU leader
She was greeted by a several-minute standing ovation, with some delegates holding up 'Thank you, boss!' placards. She also celebrated Germany's balancing its budget in recent years and its response to the eurozone debt crisis.

Apple Is Now Selling Clear $39 iPhone Xr Cases
Mention must be made that all the latest models like iPhone XS, XS Max and XR are not eligible for $29 replacement batteries. When the iPhone XR went on sale in October this year, Apple didn't have any official case for consumers to purchase.